Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Chicken Tortellini Soup

So, here's a little back story for you: Until Justin and I find a house (or until I get a job near Philly), I split my time between Ohio, at my parents' house, and Pennsylvania, at Justin's parents' house.  Clearly with all of these parents around I am very well behaved and rarely get into trouble. :)


Right now I'm at Justin's house and I don't do too much cooking while I'm here for a variety of reasons- mostly I don't want to get in the way!  So that puts me in a little bit of a pickle, considering that I am starting a food blog and all.  (Speaking of pickles- bread and butter all the way!) So what I'm going to do is share a recipe that I know by heart-Chicken Tortellini Soup.  It's very simple and very delicious.  It's one of Justin's favs and my Mom says it's what she'll miss most about me when I move out (slight exaggeration- I hope). I'm a little embarrassed to own up to using the Cream of Chicken canned soup, but it really does add more substance to the broth.  If you are morally opposed to using it, by all means leave it out.


Oh, and one other thing.  I don't have a picture of the finished product.  Trust me when I tell you it's lovely.  But just so you have something nice to look at, here is a picture of PB, Justin's (and soon to be my) cat.  He loves chicken and would totally love this soup. Isn't he the cutest?!?!?


When you wish upon a star....


Chicken Tortellini Soup


Ingredients:


1-2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves
1 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup dry white wine (optional)
6 cups chicken stock (Usually I use one 1 quart box of stock and one can low sodium broth)
1 can low fat/low sodium cream of chicken soup
1 1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning
2-3 cups cooked, chopped chicken
1 box frozen spinach, thawed and liquid removed
1-2 cups frozen tortellini
Salt and pepper, to taste
Grated Parmesan or Romano cheese, for serving


Instructions:
1. In large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
2. Add onions, garlic and carrot and cook until soft and the onions are translucent, 3-5 minutes.
3. Add white wine.  Allow to cook down for about a minute.
4. Add chicken stock, cream of chicken soup and chicken and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer. 
5. Cover and allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes (or longer if you need more time).
6. About 10 minutes prior to serving, add in the spinach and the tortellini.  Make sure the tortellini is heated through before serving. 
7. Top with Parmesan or Romano cheese, if desired.


Serves 6-8




**Note- If you will not be using all of the soup in one sitting, I would only put in as much of the tortellini as you will eat at one time.  It tends to soak up all of the broth if you store it in the fridge with the rest of the soup.


Ok, time for a workout! I think today I'll do Jillian Michaels' No More Trouble Zones- it's tough but doesn't make me want to cry. Have a great afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment